Discover U Week is a time when students from all over the Puget Sound Region explore college and career pathways.
DiscoverU puts student interests front and center for the entire week and helps connect their aspirations with opportunities, and a clear and helpful roadmap to get there.
"We have participated in Discover U districtwide for the past 6 years," said Jennifer Fichamba, College and Career Readiness Specialist at Showalter Middle School. "It is an initiative that is important to our students because we are working to build a college and career culture in our community. Discover U is a way to connect student learning to their futures." she said.
Each day will be centered on a theme that the whole community can participate in:
- Monday, October 8-- Discover Local Jobs
- Washington State employers are expecting 740,000 job openings by 2021. Today we will make sure our students learn about these local opportunities.
- Tuesday, October 9-- Speak World Languages
- People who speak more than one language are more creative and better at planning and complex problem solving— great skills for school and work.
- Wednesday, October 10-- Classroom To Career
- Take time to show students how the age-old question of "Why do I have to learn this?" connects them to careers in our economy.
- Thursday, October 11-- College Gear Day
- Show school pride by wearing your college’s gear.
- Friday, October 12 -- Lead Your Community
- Today is all about building a better community. Introduce students to community-oriented work or connect them to leadership opportunities in their neighborhoods and communities or outside of the classroom.