March 15, 2021
Dear Tukwila School District Families and Staff,
In a public address to Washingtonians on March 12, 2021, Governor Jay Inslee announced that all public school students must be given the option for in-person learning at least two days a week by April 19th. The executive order will require that Kindergarten through 5th grade students be offered some in-person learning by April 5th. All other students must have an in-person option by April 19th.
For Tukwila School District, this means the following:
- All Preschool through 5th grade students will have an in-person option starting by April 5th.
- All 6th grade through 12th grade students will have an in-person option starting by April 19th.
- Hybrid learning schedules will be available before the respective start dates and posted on the school district website.
- Meal service, including breakfast and lunch, will continue to be provided.
- Transportation for students who qualify for in-district or out of district service will be provided.
The Governor’s address proclaims that emerging mental health and wellness concerns for Washington students is a catalyst for the return to school order. The requirement to wear proper face coverings, maintain physical distancing, and adhere to capacity requirements have not changed. Governor Inslee has issued a Frequently Asked Question Document.
Union partners and the district are working diligently to prioritize the health and safety of all students and staff. Specific information regarding your child’s educational program will be shared as it becomes available.
Flip Herndon, Superintendent